Legal Question in Criminal Law in Virginia

Drunk In Public

I was recently arrested for being drunk in public in Virginia beach. They informed me of my court date and told me were to go to get a public defender. This is my first offense, i have never been arrested before and am a little scared as to what is going to happen. What should i do? Is it in my best interest to get public defender or should i simply go infront of the judge and explain myself and my situation.

Asked on 9/27/04, 3:42 pm

4 Answers from Attorneys

Shane Jimison Jimison/Homiller, PLC

Re: Drunk In Public

Get a public defender. Cooperate with him and be the one to call him, not vice versa. He will be able to do better for you in court than you will on your own. If you know you are guilty, the best thing to do is to accept responsibility for your actions. You'll more than likely get some community service or an alcohol rehab program- every court is different.

Read more
Answered on 9/27/04, 3:49 pm

Michael Hendrickson Law Office Michael E. Hendrickson

Re: Drunk In Public

You should consult with an attorney familiar with Virginia "DIP" charges who can best advise you as to how to proceed. (This doesn't mean necessarily that you need to hire the lawyer but only that you should at least consult with one to ensure that you get an acceptable outcome for this particular charge.)

Read more
Answered on 9/27/04, 3:52 pm
G. Joseph Holthaus III Law Offices of G. Joseph Holthaus

Re: Drunk In Public

You can take your chances with a public defender or hire an attorney. This is your choice.

Your case really depends on a few critical moments in front of a judge.

If you are from out of state then you need to address the transferring of any sentence you may receive so that you may serve it where you reside.

You should consult an attorney who practices in Virginia.

Read more
Answered on 9/27/04, 7:20 pm
Alan Albin Alan S. Albin, Attorney at Law

Re: Drunk In Public

Aye Carumba! (To coin a phrase...)

why on EARTH would you have any doubt that appearing WITH an attorney is better than appearing WITHOUT an attorney for a criminal proceeding?

I strongly recommend that you consult with an attorney immediately so that you can explore your legal rights, obligations, and options. If you wish to discuss retaining my services, contact me at:

[email protected]


(*Licensed in New Jersey, Maryland, and Dist. of Columbia)

[Disclaimer: The above comments are not intended as nor should they be relied upon as "legal advice", which can only be obtained by personal consultation with a retained attorney; at which time the specific facts and circumstances of your case can be thoroughly evaluated. This reply is provided for general informational and educational purposes only, and does not create an attorney-client relationship with the responding attorney.]

Read more
Answered on 9/28/04, 12:12 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Virginia