Legal Question in Discrimination Law in Virginia

I was found holding a cup of beer on the side of a building at a party in the neighborhood of james madison and was given an underage possesion of alcohol charge. They gave me a court date that was during my winter break, and i live in new york which is about 7.5 hours away. Obviously i needed to change the court date so i could go to court while i am in the area. i regrettably put it off because of finals week and distractions but i called for 2 days on the 4 numbers they gave me on the citation and every time it would be a busy signal. i would call until they put the automatic "closed" voice message. so now i had to miss my court date because i was back home and unable to drive the 7-8 hour drive. i came back to school with three letters saying that my liscense had been suspended and that i had to pay a fee of $591. I already have to go through a system because my school has heard about my situation so do i still have to go to court? and is there a way that i don't have to pay this fine?

Asked on 1/14/10, 5:44 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael Hendrickson Law Office Michael E. Hendrickson

Go to the clerk's office of the general district court and explain the situation and see whether you can get the judgment vacated and a new hearing set in your case. Otherwise you'll have to abide the suspension of your license for the term imposed and pay the fine of $591.

Read more
Answered on 1/19/10, 7:29 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Other Discrimination Law (Age, Race, Sex, Gender) questions and answers in Virginia