Legal Question in DUI Law in Virginia

Habitual Offender/How to get license back

I need to pettition the court. My problem is that I have outstanding fines. These fines are over 15 years old. I can't get any information reguarding these fines. Doesn't the judge look at each conviction, making sure that these fines are paid in full. What should I do?

Asked on 1/09/09, 9:23 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Jonathon Moseley Moseley & Associates Law Firm

Re: Habitual Offender/How to get license back

I really don't understand your question. How do you know there are unpaid fines from 15 years ago if no one is telling you that there are? They should also be able to tell you how much.

Worse comes to worse, you could file the petition for reinstatement and if there is a record of unpaid fines, they will let you know. Bring your checkbook to Court.

However, your question leaves a lot unclear. Has it been 15 years since your license was suspended?

It sounds like someone must be prompting you to pay the fines, but in that case they should be able to tell you the amount. So I don't quite understand what is going on.

Read more
Answered on 1/10/09, 2:47 pm
Michael Hendrickson Law Office Michael E. Hendrickson

Re: Habitual Offender/How to get license back

It is very unlikely that your petition for restoration of driving privileges in the Commonwealth would ever be granted until all of these fines have been settled. The clerks of the traffic courts involved should be able to provide the information as to how much is stil owed for each fine still outstanding.

Read more
Answered on 1/09/09, 11:36 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in Virginia