Legal Question in Family Law in Virginia

Alienation of Affection

Does the State of Virginia have the law that someone can sue you for Alienation of Affection?

Asked on 3/22/02, 11:17 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Beard Attorney at Law

Re: Alienation of Affection


Va. Code Sec. 8.01-220. Action for alienation of affection, breach of promise, criminal conversation and seduction abolished.

A. Notwithstanding any other provision of law to the contrary, no civil action shall lie or be maintained in this Commonwealth for alienation of affection, breach of promise to marry, or criminal conversation upon which a cause of action arose or occurred on or after June 28, 1968.

B. No civil action for seduction shall lie or be maintained where the cause of action arose or accrued on or after July 1, 1974.

(Code 1950, ?20-37.2; 1968, c. 716; 1974, c. 606; 1977, c. 617.)

Please Note:

The answer to the question above does not constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. The information provided is general in nature, and is not intended to, nor is there any representation that it does, meet your legal needs. You are not being advised to take or not to take any action pursuant to this general information. You are strongly encouraged to obtain the services of legal counsel to pursue any legal rights and remedies you may have. The Virginia Lawyers Referral Service can provide you with a referral to an attorney who will give you an initial one-half hour consultation for a maximum fee of $35. This may prove to be a very valuable investment.

Read more
Answered on 3/22/02, 11:26 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Virginia