Legal Question in Family Law in Virginia

Child Neglect

The father of my daughter gets her every other weekend. The times that he has gotten her he has neglected to take care of her. When he goes to a friends house he just lets her go off and do things with people either I or she knows.

The weekend that he got her it was Easter Weekend. I asked him to bring her home on that Saturday to share the Holiday. I didn't hear from him until Sunday evening. When he brought our daughter home she had bandages on her chin and jaw. Her father just come out and said that she was bitten by a dog. When he left I took her to the emergency room and they asked me why he didn't take her in as soon as the dog bit her. I told them that it was his weekend.

I am wanting to press charges. The hospital is calling it Medical Neglect. She does not trust her father anymore and she doesn't want to go with him.

What should I do?

Asked on 4/07/05, 6:07 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Brian Miller Brian M. Miller, Attorney at Law

Re: Child Neglect

You should contact social services (I think child protective services)and report your concerns of neglect. They will investigate and if they conclude that he has been negligent, they will take action to bar him from visitation. In addition you can seek a protective order from you local juvenile and domestic relations court. Just go in and the intake people willl help you.

Read more
Answered on 4/08/05, 9:37 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Virginia