Legal Question in Family Law in Virginia

Child support

I have a child that lives in virginia, I live in Alabama. The child will turn 18 this month. I have got copies of her school transcripts and she is not in school anymore. Now Alabama is trying to raise my child support. According to the virginia laws that I have found if a child is not in high school the child support termitnates at 18. Alabama law says 19 or is self supporting. My question is which state has the say on this. Our divorce was in Virginia and that is where the child support started. I send the payments to Alabama child support which in turn sends it to virginia child support. My ex-wife refuses to let me talk or visit with my child . I have sent letters but no response. I don't even know if the child is still living with her mother or not. Alabama is taking me back to court to get my child support raised. This is so unfair.. I can't find out any thing about my child, but they want me to pay more. Please help me.

Asked on 3/09/02, 7:01 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael Hendrickson Law Office Michael E. Hendrickson

Re: Child support

Virginia law contols in the fact scenario that you

have described(for the second time).

Read more
Answered on 3/09/02, 7:34 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Virginia