Legal Question in Family Law in Virginia

My ex and I went to court for custody in 2012. Our custody order was originated in Alaska. I move to virginia right after the final judgment. He was granted primary custody so the kids are with him for school and they are with me for all school breaks. He moved to Texas in 2013 and then in 2018 they moved to Nebraska. The kids are 15, 13, and 12. They want to come to school here with me in Virginia and he will not let them. He has no valid reason. He refuses to work with me and the kids do not want to be there due to the lack of presence he offers. Him and his wife also have two other children now and our kids do not even feel welcome in their home any longer. Due to the length and the fact that we never transferred the case anywhere, could I keep the kids here and register them in school when they came out for summer without any legal repercussions? I'm curious.

Asked on 1/14/20, 2:21 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael Hendrickson Law Office Michael E. Hendrickson

No, you would most likely need to transfer your custody order to Virginia and have it appropriately modified to suit that share of custody with which you would be satisfied and which would be appropriate

for your current circumstances and which the court presiding over the matter would determine

to be in the best interests of your children.

Office Tel. (703) 346-3542

Read more
Answered on 1/14/20, 3:11 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Virginia