Legal Question in Family Law in Virginia

I have custody,she wanted to spend time with the other grandparent,she wanted to go to school there for a few years,but now she wants to start school up here,an now the other grandparent said no,they got a lawyer an I got custody.she isn't happy there,there's slot of stuff going on there.does she have to go back?

Asked on 7/21/19, 11:31 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jonathon Moseley Jonathon A. Moseley

I am not sure I entirely understand all of your question.

But if you have custody, it is your decision until a court modifies the existing court order (giving you custody).

Just because the grandparent got a lawyer does not change the custody arrangements.

They will have to prove that there has been a change of MATERIAL (significant) circumstances since the last time the court issued an order.

That can sometimes be difficult to convince a court to reopen the existing custody arrangements.

If you think it is best for her to be with you, you can make that decision because you have custody

Read more
Answered on 7/24/19, 5:32 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Virginia