Legal Question in Family Law in Virginia

How can I help my mother? She help herself?

My married (healthy senior citizen) mother (84) and father (77) have been living apart for approx 20 years. Father in Va. mother in FL. they own property in both states, the bulk $ in Va. My mother found out recently that my dad has had a girlfriend for most of their years apart. My dad told me he is and will always take good care of my mother. She and I found out recently he is giving my mom between 5-10% of his income for her to live on-she is living below the poverty line. My mother has had difficulty getting more money from my father. She would like to know her rights/options re divorce and no divorce. Also if she is at some stage unable to take care of herself-is there a way I can step in and take care of her-start a divorce on her behalf if necessary? POA? Something else? What can I do now to help her prepare for the future? Without some authority on my side, my father would be difficult to deal with. Thank you very much.

Asked on 2/12/09, 2:06 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Cary Moseley Law Office of Cary Powell Moseley, PLLC

Re: How can I help my mother? She help herself?

Your mother should consult an attorney as soon as possible. You will not be able to effectively do this case for her. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 2/12/09, 2:14 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Virginia