Legal Question in Family Law in Virginia

I am in the process of immigrating to the UK from the US. Unfortunately there was a snag in regards to my 18 month old's custody. The UK Immigration Officer sent me this:


Dear (ME),

Thank you for your application for settlement in the UK, which is currently being considered. We have identified an omission with regard to the evidence submitted.

(1) You state that the biological father of your dependant child, (MY SON'S NAME), plays no part in his upbringing. You have also submitted your son's birth certificate which does not include the name of his biological father.

(2) Before we can issue a visa, however, we need either (a) confirmation directly from your son's biological father that he consents to your son moving to the UK, or (b) written confirmation from a legal source confirming that the absence of his name on your son's birth certificate means that your son's biological father has no parental rights to object to his son moving to the UK.

Please note that we are only able to accept this information within 10 working days of this email. No further extension will be given if the requested information is not provided by WEDNESDAY 28 AUGUST 2013.

You can either scan the document and send it to:

[email protected][1]

or post it to the following address:

(IO), Sheffield Visa Section, Home Office, Vulcan House Iron, PO Box 3468, Sheffield, S3 8WA

Thank you for your assistance.

Yours sincerely,

(IO NAME) Sheffield Visa Section Home Office]

I included a letter explaining the situation and the original birth certificate that shows he is not on the certificate. I have no idea where the father is, no way to contact him, havent seen him since the 3rd month of my pregnancy, and my son has never met him. We were never married.

We currently live in Virginia, but my son was born in Maryland. The father is likely also in Maryland, and we were both living in Maryland at the time of my son's birth.

What do I do for proof? I only have 10 days!!

Please help!

Asked on 8/13/13, 7:46 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Paul B. Ward Law Offices of Paul B. Ward

Get to a Maryland attorney quickly, to have him provide the required letter stating the effect of the biological father not being on the birth certificate; i.e. on his parental rights.

Read more
Answered on 8/13/13, 2:57 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Virginia