Legal Question in Family Law in Virginia

What recourse do you have if a lawyer leaves your case (breaks contract) without your approval?

My Mother's lawyer is going to ask a judge to be removed from her separation/divorce case as he is taking a position at another firm. The law firm has no other lawyers on staff that practice Family Law. The money spent on work already done by said lawyer will be wasted as another lawyer at another firm will have to start from scratch on her case to familiarize themselves with it, costing thousands more dollars than if the current lawyer finished her case. My Mother has been advised that this is a highly unethical move by her lawyer. What kind of recourse does she have? Can she get her money back from her current lawyers law firm?

Asked on 8/05/13, 3:37 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael Hendrickson Law Office Michael E. Hendrickson

Without reviewing the terms of the representation agreement between

your mother and this departing attorney and his law firm as well as the relevant facts concerning the work that this fellow has actually done thus far in your mother's case and the fee that he's charged for it, I do not see how anyone could reliably offer an opinion on the matter.

Read more
Answered on 8/05/13, 8:41 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Virginia