Legal Question in Family Law in Virginia

I have been served with a "Divorce Complaint" by my spouse. Naturally, I disagree with many articles within the document, and wish to contest a majority of them. Mainly, the custody of the children, and the support/alimony she wishes to collect. Do I actually require the services of an attorney? Or am I able to represent myself? I am well aware of the benefits, but at this moment, I am unable to financially support such counsel. I have done an extensive amount of research, so I believe I'm able to communicate my standpoint with the Judge (if need be). However, I need to know if this is possible to even do (represent myself). Please advise.

Asked on 10/22/13, 4:34 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael Hendrickson Law Office Michael E. Hendrickson

Yes, you can represent yourself in a divorce but since divorces are handled

in circuit court which can harbor many procedural snares for the untrained and/or

unwary, I would strongly advise that you arrange for at least a consultation with

a Virginia attorney who deals with such matters on a regular basis and who

should be able to offer you some valuable advice on your particular case.

Read more
Answered on 10/24/13, 8:41 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Virginia