Legal Question in Family Law in Virginia

My wife and I have decided to divorce. The reason is due to adultery on my behalf. The concern we have now is our house. The deed has both our names, however, the mortgage is just in my name. Legally, how would this be handled? Would the property have to be sold? Would she need to refinance under her name only? Note: if sold today, house would either break even in the loan or we would have some equity to split.

Asked on 8/20/12, 7:39 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Michael Hendrickson Law Office Michael E. Hendrickson

Yes, your wife would need to finance under her name only. You and

she might want to explore with your lender the possibility of her taking over

your loan with the lender's approval (assuming she has the financial wherewithal

to do so).

Read more
Answered on 8/20/12, 9:01 pm

Paul B. Ward Law Offices of Paul B. Ward

It is important to say that you and your wife can decide what to do with the house; the court will make the decision only if one of you asks for a court decision. I can't see that there is any incentive for going to court.

Read more
Answered on 8/21/12, 6:39 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Virginia