Legal Question in Family Law in Virginia

Me and my wife have been married for a year now. From a previous relationship she had our 5 yr old son. His father isn't on the birth certificate and never came around, but now his father is deceased. My question is if his grandparents on his fathers side never come around nor try to contact him to see how he's doing, for his birthday, Christmas, nor anything for that matter! All the sudden they want to see him when it is convenient for them I.E. they are having a family reunion and want to show him off, is it wrong for me and my wife to tell them no?

Asked on 2/23/13, 2:44 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael Hendrickson Law Office Michael E. Hendrickson

As the child's grandparents and therefore "persons with a legitimate interest" under Va Code Sec. 20-124.1, they may petition the court to establish their

visitation rights which you will be obligated to abide by.

However, until the above occurs, you are under no obligation to accede to

any of their wishes with respect to this child.

Read more
Answered on 2/23/13, 7:56 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Virginia