Legal Question in Federal Tort Claims in Virginia

Federal Debt Collection/Tort Law/Federal Employment

I accepted a position with a federal agency. The agency paid for relocation. The agency withheld money from my salary for debt recovery (no notification provided). I left the government and provided current forwarding information to the agency so that a bill for the remainder of the debt could be remitted. Eight months later, I received a letter from a collection agency on behalf of government agencies. The proof of debt was sent to an incorrect address. The amount requested was in error. I sent a letter stating such. I requested proof of debt and again stated I was disputing the amount within the 30 day notification. I then received documentation from the agency after payment was made to the collection agency (address was not correct but not the same erroneous one as was the original request). The agency has refunded the agencies collection fees that I paid. Question: Today, in order to obtain employment, a background check is required. Will I be able to get employment with this on my record, or even buy and house or car? Do I have any recourse under Federal Tort Claim Act or any other law? The situation was the result of multiple agency errors. I cannot find an attorney to assist me.

Asked on 1/15/08, 9:06 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael Hendrickson Law Office Michael E. Hendrickson

Re: Federal Debt Collection/Tort Law/Federal Employment

No, since the fees which were erroneously assessed and which you paid were refunded, you have yet to prove any recoverable damages(in my opinion).

Read more
Answered on 1/15/08, 9:18 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Federal Tort Claims Act Litigation questions and answers in Virginia