Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Virginia

In 2007 my husband passed away, and in 2008 my home burned down with a total loss. My sister and her then boyfriend offered to clean out the home, and salvage what they could. They were compensated for this. I just found out they had salvaged a set of motorcycle tanks that belonged to my husband. I asked for them, and was told I would have to pay to get them back, as I 'left' them when I relocated out of state. Can I have these items returned, or must I pay to get them returned?

Asked on 10/16/13, 2:12 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Michael Hendrickson Law Office Michael E. Hendrickson

Would seem to depend upon the precise terms of this "clean out and salvage"

agreement between you and your sister and "her then boyfriend" as they could be reasonably understood at that time but which are not clear in the question

which you've posed here(at least in my opinion).

Read more
Answered on 10/16/13, 2:30 pm

Sam Moore Law Office of Moore and Sripinyo, PLLC

I agree with the previous answer: it depends on the agreement when they cleaned out the house. I assume that the terms of the agreement were not formalized, so it gets murkier from there. If you are interested in a more precise answer, I recommend contacting a Virginia attorney--such as Mr. Hendrickson--or myself to discuss the issue in more detail.

Read more
Answered on 10/16/13, 3:10 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Virginia