Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Virginia

How do i make someone repay a loan

I loaned someone $700 in March. It was supposed to have been repayed by now. I was told i could take out a judgement and garnishee their wages. The person that owes me the money told me if I did he would just quit his job. Is their anything else I can do to get my money other than a garnishee?

Asked on 12/03/02, 7:13 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Edward Gonzalez Edward Gonzalez, PC

Re: How do i make someone repay a loan

In VA you can sue for amounts this small in state "district" court. Go down to the district court in the jurisdiction in which he lives. Ask the clerk for a "warrant in debt" form. Fill it out, attach proof of the debt such a promissory note or letter from him acknowledging the debt or letter from you referencing the debt and to which he has not responded. Get a date for the hearing, and have it "served" on him. The clerk may be able to give you a brochure on how to do a "pro se" (non-attorney)suit, or direct you to the library where you can research it. Just start the process. He may settle. It's doubtful he would quit a job paying thousands to not pay a $700 debt. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 12/04/02, 10:53 am

Michael Hendrickson Law Office Michael E. Hendrickson

Re: How do i make someone repay a loan

When this amoral miscreant goes on to his next job, you transfer the garnishment, and keep on doing so, until you have collected your $700.(You can also file a lien against any real property

that this deadbeat may own in the jurisdiction where the property is located.)

Of course, this person wants to discourage you from taking any legal action, so that he can carry off his scam with impunity.

What else is new?

Read more
Answered on 12/03/02, 11:22 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Virginia