Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Virginia

I have been in a relationship for almost twenty years. For the last two, I have supported my partner 100 percent, due to health issues. She recently received a settlement from a malpractice suit. As soon as she received this, she basically dumped me to the curb, leaving me with nothing. Can I sue for 1/2 of the living expenses for the two years, her car payments which I made for her during most of the two years? I am in the state of Virginia.

Asked on 4/11/18, 6:32 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael Hendrickson Law Office Michael E. Hendrickson

Sure, you can sue (as anyone can) but prevail on these facts for your damages claimed? No, probably not, unless

you could prove by a preponderance of the evidence that you were incurring these expenses you've referenced pursuant

to an enforceable contract (whether written or verbal) and that a core term in this agreement was that your

partner understood that she would be responsible for reimbursing you for at least one half of these expenses which you incurred in her behalf during this particular two year period.

Office Tel. (703) 838-5577

Read more
Answered on 4/11/18, 7:29 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Virginia