Legal Question in Immigration Law in Virginia

DUI in another state

I live in Virginia but I received a DUI in West Virginia. Recently I was stopped for a traffic check and found out that my license in Virginia is suspended. Does Virginia suspend your license if you receive a DUI in another state?

Asked on 9/18/04, 5:35 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Michael Hendrickson Law Office Michael E. Hendrickson

Re: DUI in another state

Yes, indeed, the Commonwealth does reciprocally suspend the privilege of one to drive of one

who has been suspended in another state after the charging and conviction information has been transmitted to the Commonwealth.

Read more
Answered on 9/18/04, 11:37 pm

Thomas Dunlap Dunlap, Grubb & Weaver, PLLC

Re: DUI in another state

If you are licensed by Virginia, it is possible for the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles to institute a reciprocal suspension if you were suspended in another state. However, you may be eligable for restricted driving privileges, and if you were cited for driving on a suspended license, you may have a legal defense if you were not notified by the virginia DMV of the suspension.

Our firm offers services related to both these issues. If you should require further assistance, we can be reached at 703-777-7319.

Read more
Answered on 9/21/04, 11:25 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Virginia