Legal Question in Immigration Law in Virginia

I am a g5 visa holder and my contract will end this june 2017. But after endo Me and my boyfriend who is a green card holder is planning to get married. What is goin to be my status after getting married? And what is the best time to get married before or after wnd of contract? Thank you so much.

Asked on 1/26/17, 9:39 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Marlene Hemmings Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law

Unfortunately, you will not be immediately eligible to apply for a greencard if you marry a greencard holder. Meaning, if you fall out of status, you will be ineligible to adjust status in the United States UNLESS you are married to a U.S. citizen. So, either you will need to return home & Consular Process your greencard case (which, based on the Feb 2017 Visa Bulletin will take over 1 year) or you will need to wait until your boyfriend becomes a U.S. citizen.

Read more
Answered on 1/26/17, 12:22 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Virginia