Legal Question in Immigration Law in Virginia

If a girl lives in the US and she has a child 1.5 years old. She has the full custody of the child. Her X husband lives in Jordan. They both hold the American and Jordanian Passports. The child has an American Passport. Can she go to Jordan Visit and come back or will he have the power to say I want my Baby? Can he put her name on the Jordanian Airport and say you cannot leave to America unless you give the child to the father? Since they both carry the Jordanian Passport as well. So, if she enters Jordan on the American Passport, will the Jordanian Rules and regulations apply and he can take away the child even though she has full custody in the US? Will the Jordanian rules apply on her since she carries the Jordanian passport as well? or do you think if she enters on the American passport, the American consulate can protect her?

Asked on 2/03/14, 7:01 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Michael Hendrickson Law Office Michael E. Hendrickson

No, once this mother sets foot on Jordanian soil with this child, she should BEWARE, as "all bets may be off", so to speak, as to which parent should have control of the subject child, and irrespective of her full custody order from an American court and her American passport, she could still find herself mired in Jordanian litigation over this child if the father so desires (in my opinion).

Read more
Answered on 2/03/14, 11:58 am
Marlene Hemmings Marlene Hemmings, Attorney at Law

Although I do not practice Jordanian law or U.S. Family Law, my understanding is that the mother has no rights in the middle east, so I would not advise going there, nor do I advise that you send your child there!

Whether the child, or the mother, is a U.S. citizen is irrelevant, because Jordanian law would apply & the United States government cannot protect you!

Read more
Answered on 2/03/14, 1:11 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Immigration Law questions and answers in Virginia