Legal Question in International Law in Virginia

Outstanding debt

I provided travel for a company in the USA. The account has not been settled. I am in South Africa. I have no acknowledgment of debt signed. Travel was done for 3 company executives. What are my chances if I proceed with legal steps? I have airline tickets / hotel invoices in their personal names. Please advise. The amount outstanding is in excess of $50 000

Asked on 6/05/07, 9:05 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Daniel Press Chung & Press, P.C.

Re: Outstanding debt

You can sue them in the U.S., but you may have to come to court here at least once. Or, if the transaction was between the U.S. and South Africa, you may be able to sue them there and enforce the judgment here. Before doing so, your South African lawyer should consult with U.S. counsel to make sure that all reasonable steps are taken to make sure the judgment would be enforceable. As for your chances, it depends on the facts and how well you can document your claim and/or establish it through oral testimony, which depends on the credibility of the parties/witnesses.

Read more
Answered on 6/05/07, 9:40 am

Related Questions & Answers

More International Law questions and answers in Virginia