Legal Question in Juvenile Dependency in Virginia

child support

Do I have to continue to pay child support for a child that has been imprisoned?

Asked on 6/11/01, 7:25 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Beard Attorney at Law

Re: child support

If your child is under the age of eighteen and is committed to the Department of Juvenile Justice, you may not have to pay child support to the child's custodial parent. However, the Court can order that your support payments be made to the Department of Juvenile Justice. I have found that this is routinely done in some jurisdictions, and never done in others.

Your support obligation will continue in any event unless you seek and receive a new order from the Court.

Please Note:

The answer to the question above does not constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. The information provided is general in nature, and is not intended to, nor is there any representation that it does, meet your legal needs. You are strongly encouraged to obtain the services of legal counsel to pursue any legal rights and remedies you may have.

Read more
Answered on 7/16/01, 10:19 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Juvenile Dependency questions and answers in Virginia