Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Virginia

Suing someone who works in DC, but case is in Virginia

My former tenant owes me 3 months rent, late fees and court fees. The

apartment was in Virginia. She works in DC. Now that she has moved, I have

served her at her place of employment in DC

My former tenant is a paralegal who works for a law firm in DC. The law firm

has refused to answer the court's garnishment summons or garnish my

tenants wages. I thought it was illegal for a company to refuse to answer a

garnishment summons.

I called and a person said they are not bound to answer a garnishment

summons in Viriginia and that the dispute was between me and my tenant,

and not me and the law firm.

What should I do? Do I have to start a whole new case in DC for the amount

that is owed me?

Asked on 4/28/06, 12:30 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Brian Miller Brian M. Miller, Attorney at Law

Re: Suing someone who works in DC, but case is in Virginia

In order to garnish wages on your Virginia judgment, you can only serve garnishment papers on a Virginia business. If the law firm has a branch office in VA, then go ahead and serve the papers there. If they don't then you could domesticate your judgment in DC and then you can garnish wages based upon the DC judgment.

Read more
Answered on 4/28/06, 12:36 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Virginia