Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Virginia

Tenant / Landlord

Once you have a judgement on an unlawful detainer, what is the best way to start a garnishment? Do I need to know where they work or will the courts find out?

Asked on 12/16/08, 11:41 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Cary Moseley Law Office of Cary Powell Moseley, PLLC

Re: Tenant / Landlord

Assuming the appeal period has run and no appeal filed and you have a judgment for money, you use the court's garnishment form. If you can not find out where the debtor works on your own, you might use the court's interrogatories form to ask the debtor under oath where he or she works, banks, pays money to, receives money from, etc. There are filing and service fees and clerk will give you all this info. Some forms are on web site for Virginia courts.

Read more
Answered on 12/16/08, 12:35 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Virginia