Legal Question in Legal Malpractice in Virginia

One of my family members is incarcerated and awaiting a preliminary hearing. They were denied a bond at their bond hearing. They have a court appointed attorney in which they asked for an appeal. This has been three weeks now and he has not responded to any of the phone contacts, letter, or visit from a family member to his office. He has not gotten any information from this individual and the preliminary hearing is in 4 days. I feel that this person is being misrepresented. This attorney is has been very short, unconcerned, and extremely rude with this person and with others who have attempted to discuss representation for the individual. What can be done in reference to this. This attorney is showing no interest at all in the representation of this person. Is this illegal? Where does this fall under the legal representation law?

Asked on 2/13/10, 5:35 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael Hendrickson Law Office Michael E. Hendrickson

If the defendant believe he/she is being ill-served by a court-appointed attorney,

the defendant can ask the court to appoint replacement counsel, but should

be prepared to offer persuasive evidence as to why the court should

accommodate such a request.

Read more
Answered on 2/20/10, 12:50 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Legal Malpractice Law questions and answers in Virginia