Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Virginia

house on my land

The neighbors house is setting on my land, about 15' of their house. I purchased my house in 1999. Can I make them pay for the lot or make them move the house?

Asked on 1/25/03, 9:25 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Daniel Press Chung & Press, P.C.

Re: house on my land

It depends how long it was there - after 15 years, the encroaching neighbor may have acquired title by adverse possession. But otherwise, generally, the answer is yes, if their house is partially on your lot, you can require them to remove it, or reach an alternate settlement, such as selling them some or all of your land (changing the boundary lines may require county approval).

Read more
Answered on 1/25/03, 10:22 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Virginia