Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Virginia

Land Sale involving several heirs

I am heir to property from my grandfarher's

estate - one of my aunts is refusing to

approve the sale. The property has no legal

right-of-way and is undeveloped.

We have a buyer, but without her approval cannot

proceed. This property has been a bone of contention

within the family for over 18 years - my aunt is willing to sell but only if she can get the price

she wants, which is over 50% of what the property's

real value is. We were excited about finally finding

a buyer, however, she refuses to accept his offer.

What recourse do I have? All of the other family

members have agreed to sale.

What recourse do I have ?

Asked on 7/29/01, 12:33 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Daniel Press Chung & Press, P.C.

Re: Land Sale involving several heirs

You can file suit for a sale in lieu of partition. The court will order a sale, with the proceeds divided in accordance with the parties' interests, unless it is feasible to actually partition (subdivide) the property into proportional (value) lots.

Read more
Answered on 7/30/01, 10:55 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Virginia