Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Virginia

How can I sell a house that is not in my name, but it is in the name of my grandfather who is deceased?

Asked on 10/01/13, 10:03 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael Hendrickson Law Office Michael E. Hendrickson

If you're the legitimate heir to this property and your grandfather

died intestate (without a will), you need to file an Affidavit of

Heirship with the probate division of the circuit court in the locality

where the property is located and await the issuance of an order

from thist court which recognizes you now as the legitimate owner of the property at issue. One of the clerks of this probate court may then be willing'

to instruct you as to how this document should then be recorded in the

land records database of this court which should then allow you to legally sell it to a third party.

Read more
Answered on 10/02/13, 9:35 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Virginia