Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Virginia

son needs help

my son and his wife are divorceing .they lease a house .my son hasnt lived there for 2 months.when the divorce goes through he wants his name off the lease.they still have about 9 months on it .they are both in the navy.he is likley going to be transfered to a different state when his orders come can he get taken off the lease. they are in the state of virginia. his ex wife will still be living there

please help!!!!

Asked on 1/03/03, 10:27 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael Hendrickson Law Office Michael E. Hendrickson

Re: son needs help

As part of the divorce settlement, your son can request that his wife be held responsible for

paying the balance of the lease obligation

without any contribution on his part. Also, there are state laws which protect a serviceman being transfered out of state from being held accountable for having to break a lease obligation due to such transfers.

Read more
Answered on 1/08/03, 12:01 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Virginia