Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Virginia

Last summer while deployed overseas my father asked to use my boat. It was located/titled in SC in my name but registration had expired. I gave him a POA to title/register the boat in my name in VA (my current residence). He retrieved the boat and took it to boat in IN (he resides in IL). 2 weeks ago I asked for the boat back and he refused. Stated that he was going to re-title the boat in his name. I have a current VA title/registration in my name alone, along with a title for the trailer. There are no other active titles and the POA is revoked. I have contacted SC, VA, IL and IN police with little luck on how to retrieve my property.

Asked on 4/30/13, 4:43 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael Hendrickson Law Office Michael E. Hendrickson

Try going to the clerk's office (civil division) of your local general

district court and ask to file a warrant in detinue for the return of your

personal property(boat & trailer) and in the alternative request that the court

enter a judgment against your father for the fair market value of your boat

and trailer in the event that the boat and trailer is not (or cannot be) returned.

You may have to make special arrangements with the sheriff's office or local process server in the locality of the state where your father currently

resides to have him properly served with copies of the lawsuit. (The clerk's office

may be able to advise you on this issue.)

Read more
Answered on 5/01/13, 7:03 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Virginia