Legal Question in Social Security Law in Virginia

We live in Virginia and our 20 year old son who has mental health

Issues. He participates in a community support program and he receives a SSI check.

If we remove him from the community support program will he lose his SSI check. And how do we go about getting a power of attorney over him

Asked on 3/23/11, 9:49 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael Hendrickson Law Office Michael E. Hendrickson

I would doubt that your son's participation in a particular local

community support program has anything to do with his continued eligibility for SSI.

As far as I know, POA's are voluntary and must be given voluntarily by the

principal (your son in this case). However, if your son's mental condition

and competence are such that he cannot really manage his own affairs, you

may wish to seek guardianship over him by filing an appropriate petition in your

local circuit court which (if granted) likely would give you similar authority as a POA to act for him in his affairs.

Read more
Answered on 4/02/11, 6:56 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Social Security Law questions and answers in Virginia