Legal Question in Tax Law in Virginia

My 17 year old brother in law said we couldn't claim him on our taxes even though he lived with us for 8 months and we supported him the whole 8 months. He did work full time and i believe he made any where between $7000-$10000 for the year. Can we get into trouble for claiming him without his permission?

Asked on 1/24/12, 9:37 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael Hendrickson Law Office Michael E. Hendrickson

If this apparent ingrate resided in your household as a dependent for more than

180 days during the tax year at issue and you contributed during this period

to more than 50% of his support, you should be entitled to claim him as a dependent deduction whether it's with or without his permission and

irrespective of whether he falsifies his own return in failing to

note his dependent status during this period.

Read more
Answered on 1/31/12, 8:55 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Tax and Taxation Law questions and answers in Virginia