Legal Question in Traffic Law in Virginia

Would it be worth it to show up in traffic court (2 hours out of town) unrepresented and ask the court to reduce a speeding ticket? I have an excellent driving record (plus 5 points)--no tickets in over 20 years. The ticket was for 63/45.

Also would it be worth pointing out that the officer made a "typo" in the "location" He indicated it was south of "Luckstone Dr" when in fact it was south of "Luckstone Rd". I would not try to portray to the court that I am not guilty (I made a mistake and was caught), just looking for a way to reduce the effect on my driving record. Any help would be appreciated.

Asked on 7/14/13, 8:20 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael Hendrickson Law Office Michael E. Hendrickson

If you show up for court and speak with the prosecutor assigned to your case,

offering to plead guilty to a reduced speeding charge such as 50 in a 45 zone,

your offer could be accepted.

However, whether it would be "worth it", considering the four hour drive involved to the courthouse, would be something that you would have to decide.

Read more
Answered on 7/14/13, 9:25 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Traffic Law questions and answers in Virginia