Legal Question in Veterans Law in Virginia

Disability - Hepatitis C

Writing on behalf of my husband who served in the US Army in the early 70s. While in Germany he had a blood transfusion. Since Feb 2001 he has been undergoing treatment for HepC and has been unable to work. The only blood transfusion he has ever had was in the Army but we have no medical records to prove this. 1) What should be our first step and 2) Is it possible to collect retroactively, i.e., he will complete treatment in January 2003 and may be able to return to work in February (although we are not certain if there will be any long-term effects of the treatment). Thanks

Asked on 11/20/02, 12:51 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

John Sawyer Sawyer & Azarcon, P.C.

Re: Disability - Hepatitis C

First, you should immediately file a claim for service connection with the VA Regional Office in Washington, DC. Next, your husband will be given a disability rating examination and his claim will then be adjudicated by the RO Adjudication Officer. If the claim is denied or if you disgree with an assigned rating, please contact me.

Read more
Answered on 11/20/02, 3:25 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Veterans Law questions and answers in Virginia