Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Virginia

My father passed suddenly in 2011. My mom just gave me a document which she asked me to get notarized. It basically says that myself, as a residual beneficiary of my father's estate, I am giving authorization for all procceeds to bypass myself and go to my mother. Can anyone explain exactly what this means? This is the first I have seen anything like this. I know she mentioned my brother would be doing this also.

Please keep in mind I have not been privy to any legal discussions or seen any of my father's will, etc.

Thank you!

Asked on 7/09/13, 10:24 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Paul B. Ward Law Offices of Paul B. Ward

It would be foolish (and perhaps go against your father's wishes) to sign away your inheritance without knowing all the facts and consulting an attorney for advice.

Read more
Answered on 7/09/13, 11:24 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Virginia