Legal Question in Workers Comp in Virginia

I got injured on the job. I had to have surgery on my hand. I have finished my physical therapy. They said I have 50% use of my hand and it wont get any better. The hospital bill alone is over 11,000 dollars. How much compensation am I entitled to?

Asked on 6/08/13, 12:49 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Gerald Lutkenhaus Virginia Workers Compensation & Disability Lawyer

You left out quite a few items from your post. Are you on weekly compensation now or have you returned to work? What is your weekly compensation rate? Do you have ongoing medical biills? Do you face future operations? If you have not returned to work, what kind of work do the doctors say you can still do? Is this an injury to your dominant hand? How's many weeks of compensation have you already received? What is the amount of your weekly compensation? What is your age? Are you looking for a settlement of your case or just to be paid for the 50% loss of your hand?

Are you on Social Security Disability? I have 35 years of practice in WC law and these are some of the questions you need to answer. You can call me for a free consultation at 1-804-358-4766 or 1-800-256-8862.

Read more
Answered on 6/08/13, 2:13 pm
Peter M. Sweeny, Esq. Author:Virginia Workers' Compensation Case Finder

In over 35 years of practicing Virginia workers' compensation I have learned that when and if to agree on the amount of my client's compensation is a matter that requires great skill and experience. I have a whole section of my book, The Virginia Workers' Compensation Case Finder, dedicated to discussing permanent impairments. Payment of compensation in your claim is something that is technical and will bind you for the remainder of your case. I would be happy to discuss these with you so that you can make an informed and intelligent decision about what to do. I am a member of the Larson's National Workers' Compensation Advisory Board and my practice is statewide. You can reach me at 1-800-945-7051 and review my credentials at

Read more
Answered on 6/19/13, 7:57 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Workers' Compensation Law questions and answers in Virginia