Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Washington

When I moved in to my Townhouse I paid first and last months rent, when my lease was up at 1 year, I chose to not sign another lease and have been renting month to month, was rent was raised $50.00 a month and now that I am going to move out the property management company is telling my I have to pay the $50.00 difference. I can not find anywhere on my lease that it states I would have to pay the difference if rent is raised. Am I legally obligated to pay the difference?

Thank you,

Sherry Duncan

Asked on 8/10/09, 10:13 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

P. Jayson Thibodaux Law Office of P. Jayson Thibodaux

Generally, you must be provided at least 30 days written notice of a rent increase and a landlord may not raise rent during a lease.

I have seen many leases that are for a specific term and provide that if continued month to month, rent is raised $50 a month from the original lease amount. If you signed a one year lease and there is no provision for additional rent if the agreement continues month to month, you should have been provided written notice. A landlord cannot request the monthly $50 difference for rents paid during your one year lease.

Keep in mind that if you continue month to month, each month is a new agreement and the rent may be raised if the required notice is provided.

Read more
Answered on 8/19/09, 12:32 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Washington