Legal Question in Appeals and Writs in Washington

I received and "Affidavit for garnishment and writ of garnishment (debts other than earnings). It's not showing that the document was received by the court. I am given 20 days to answer the writ. It is hereby commanded, unless other wise directed by the Court, by the Attorney of record for the plaintiff, or by this writ, not to pay any debt, whether earnings subject to this garnishment or any other debt, owed to the defendant at the time this writ was served and not to deliver, sell, or transfer, or recognize any sale or transfer of, any personal property or effects of the defendant in your possession or control at the time when this writ was served. Any such payment, delivery, sale, or transfer is void to the extent necessary to satisfy the plaintiff's claim and costs for this writ with interest. My question is, can they do this? I have not seen a document from the court. Do you think if I pay the full amount they will cancel the SUE? I have been making payments for almost 1 year. I wasn't expecting this. Please help.

Asked on 12/04/11, 5:19 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Charles Cruikshank Cruikshank Law Office-Since 1975

You should contact the attorney that signed the Writ and ask him/her these questions.

They can do it, but if you have a written settlement agreement that you can prove you have honored and which the plaintiff/creditor violated, they may be responsible for penalties and/or your attorney fees.

Read more
Answered on 12/05/11, 8:58 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Appeals and Writs questions and answers in Washington