Legal Question in Business Law in Washington

I'm a lease operator of a food truck and both myself and the owner have lost the signed copy of the lease. I'm not positive of everything in it. Plus he just terminated it without cause. Can I get into trouble for not complying with the lease if there's no signed copy.

Asked on 4/19/16, 12:41 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Amir John Showrai The Pacific Law Firm, PLLC

In general, under the Statute of Frauds, oral contracts are unenforceable. Thus, if there was a written contract, which nobody has a copy of any more, it would be very difficult to enforce against the party who did not comply with the terms of the contract. Thus, without knowing more information, it seems unlikely the owner of the food truck would be able to do anything for your lack of complying with the terms of the lease, without a written contract that spells out those terms.

This assumes that you actually have failed to comply with the lease terms, and that the owner was entitled to terminate it without cause.

Read more
Answered on 4/20/16, 6:20 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in Washington