Legal Question in Business Law in Washington

Signed contract - refusing to pay

I am a marketing consultant that has been working as a contractor for a private company in washington state since 2004. For the year 2006 the company signed a contract for ''service'' that I will be providing for the company. One of the partners in the company is currently threatning non-payment on the contract. there are 2 partners in the company who have personal and business related problems. When they are not getting along the one partner uses my contract as negoiating terms for non-payment and the most recent meeting was to honor the contract only for 3 months and trying not to commit to the rest of the year. Options?

Asked on 1/05/06, 5:13 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

James Vasquez In Pacta, PLLC

Re: Signed contract - refusing to pay

I don't know all the facts of your situation, however if payment on the contract is refused the partners would be committing breach of contract, in which case you would be able to sue the partners for the balance of the contract; any special damages that you sustain as a result of their breach; and attorney's fees. However, all of this depends on the language in your contract. You wouldn't be able to do anything until they actually don't pay you, however if that should come to pass then you should seek the assistance of an attorney specializing in employment law.

Read more
Answered on 1/05/06, 5:30 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in Washington