Legal Question in DUI Law in Washington

Hello, my name is Sam Herzer I got a DUI on December 21 2013. I am only 21 years old and hoping to join the Marine Core or Navy. I am on unsupervised probation till May of 2016. I have done everything the Edmonds Municipal court has asked me to do. Its been almost 2 years since my DUI, I was wondering if there was any way I could tell the court I am hoping to join the military and can they reduce my "unsupervised probation" . I am not driving or do I own a car. Thanks.

Asked on 1/23/15, 10:18 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Stan Glisson Glisson & Morris

It is legally possible, but pretty rare. A judge would have to approve it, and generally that is very difficult to do without a recommendation from the prosecutor.

You will have to either have your attorney call the prosecutor to discuss it, or just schedule a hearing to ask a judge to do it. It is entirely discretionary with the judge, so the presentation has to be pretty compelling. Make sure you have a concrete plan, with proof, to join the service.

Read more
Answered on 1/26/15, 12:17 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in Washington