Legal Question in Family Law in Washington

I'm 7 weeks pregnant by a guy who constantly puts me down and doesn't support me or my decision to keep the kid. He has these rules of being completely separated when the baby comes & for the pregnancy doesn't wanna be there for anything. My family are the only support I have and they're moving to help the older ones in our family.

I wanna move to Georgia and am currently in Washington state. He said if I leave he's taking me to court and just wants me here so I can suffer and he's just be difficult on purpose. Will a petition to move help me? What are my options to move away to Georgia with family.

Asked on 3/06/16, 8:51 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

P. Jayson Thibodaux Law Office of P. Jayson Thibodaux

You don't indicate if you are married or have other children with this man. Generally, there is nothing making you remain in Washington. You can move.

He could try to take you to court, but most likely he'd have to go to Georgia.

Read more
Answered on 3/06/16, 9:49 pm
Gary Preble Preble Law Firm, P.S.

1. If you have other children with this man, jurisdiction would be in Washington if the children have lived in Washington for more than 6 months.

2. If the unborn child is the only one by him, move as soon as you can.

3. If you have other chidren by him, you still can move but jurisdiction of any custody case would likely be in Washington. (Search the term UCCJEA to understand the rules regarding custody.)

4. If you have the baby in Georgia, jurisdiction of the custody of the baby would likely be in Georgia.

5. Next time, make a better choice in choosing a husband.

Read more
Answered on 3/06/16, 11:25 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Washington