Legal Question in Family Law in Washington

Say a 17 year old from Washington State runs away to New Hampshire to stay with her 19 year old boyfriend and his parents. The boyfriends parents did not know that the 17 year old was staying there against her parents will. Say her parents then call the police, and the police are sent to his parents house. Would they be charged for harboring a runaway? Or are they only charged if they purposefully hide the 17 year old from the police? If his parents say that they had no idea that the 17 year old did not have her parents permission to stay with them, will the boyfriend and his parents still be in legal trouble?


Asked on 5/22/18, 12:21 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Gary Preble Preble Law Firm, P.S.

The answer is probably NO, the boyfriend and his parents will probably not be in legal trouble. Under Washington law, (google RCW 13.32A.080) a person is only liable after they know. As far as New Hampshire, I googled and found It appears to be essentially the same as Washington, but you would need a NH lawyer to advise you regarding NH law.

Read more
Answered on 5/28/18, 5:24 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Washington