Legal Question in Family Law in Washington

Adoption question

I now have Sole legal custody of my 10 year old son. Can his step-father legally adopt him son in case something ever happens to me, he will get custody instead of his biological father?

Asked on 1/14/09, 3:41 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Erin Ramsey In Pacta, PLLC

Re: Adoption question

You would have to obtain the consent of the biological father for your husband (your son's step-father) to adopt your son. Otherwise, custody or visitation rights will not be awarded to a non-parent unless it is shown that the biological parent is “unfit.”

Read more
Answered on 1/14/09, 4:25 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Washington