Legal Question in Family Law in Washington

My girlfriend is 16 & I am 18 almost every week for the past 16 years she has been sexually abused by her biological father , her mom does nothing about it. & her father sometimes physically abuses her too & he also kicks her out if she don't do small things like clean her room. She asked me to come get her so she won't have to deal with him anymore so technically she is running away. I was wondering would I get arrested if her parents call the cops on me for letting her stay with me?

Asked on 3/11/14, 12:07 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Gary Preble Preble Law Firm, P.S.

It would appear that could be a problem, depending on the facts. Here are the relevant statutes, which you can read for yourself and apply to your particular facts:



In addition, I would caution you regarding your girlfriend's accusations against her parents. While it is possible there could be truth to what you report she said, from my experience, your comments raise red flags as to what is really the truth. You would not want your present interest in her to blind you to the possibility that, if she has lied, misrepresented or exaggerated about her parents, you could be the next victim of her accusations.

Read more
Answered on 3/11/14, 1:11 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Washington