Legal Question in Family Law in Washington

How does an inmate finalize his divorce by mail in Washington state

Asked on 8/07/12, 5:13 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Christopher Steuart IT Forensics, Inc.

In every county except Lincoln, the process is that one of the parties has to appear before the judge/commissioner and testify to the basic allegations to support the dissolution: The cause no, name of the parties, name of the person testifying, that more than 90 days have passed since service, acceptance or joining; that the marriage is irretrievably broken, that all the dependent children of either party is named in the pleadings and as necessary addressed with a parenting plan and support order, that they believe that all the debts and assets are disclosed and fairly distributed, that the wife is not pregnant (or if she is that the potential offspring is addressed). Then the judge/commissioner signs the decree and findings of fact (and if appropriate the child support order (and worksheet) and parenting plan.

In Lincoln County you can do all that by mail.

Read more
Answered on 8/30/12, 7:28 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Washington