Legal Question in Family Law in Washington

In King County, Washington State can I ask for a directed verdict at the show cause hearing? This case is simply a need to have a judge interprets a hand written court order. If the judge finds that the trial should be allowed then the trial itself becomes mute as this decision would render any further action unnecessary. Time is of the essence as I need a verdict before August 31st the event I need the visit for will be passed already.

Asked on 8/16/13, 1:28 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Amir John Showrai The Pacific Law Firm, PLLC

The short answer to your question is "no." What you are looking for is not a directed verdict, but rather a summary judgment, whereby a case is stopped in its tracks before a trial because there is no need for a trial, and a final judgment is entered.

In King County that requires at least 28 days' written notice to the other side and needs to be set with the trial judge, not a court commissioner. You need to coordinate with the judge's bailiff to schedule an available day prior to noting the motion. However, the bottom line is at this point, there is no way to end the case prior to the end of August.

You do not indicate what event this relates to, so I cannot answer my own follow up questions which are to know why you need this and what you wish to accomplish by month's end. Perhaps there is another way to get done what you would like done. If it is this important, may I suggest you at least consult with an attorney.

Read more
Answered on 8/16/13, 2:21 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Washington