Legal Question in Family Law in Washington

moving an hour away

I'm the non-custodial parent, I have Tuesdays overnight and every other weekend during the school year and all other time is equal. The custodial parent is planning on moving an hour away out of my child's school district. I have not received proper notice of the move, just heard from my child and some relatives. What is likely to happen? Do I need to drive an hour to get my child to and from school to keep my day during the week? I would like to modify the custody so my child can live with me the majority of time, stay in the same school and be close to family members. What are the chances of custody be changed?

Asked on 6/13/08, 1:00 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Christopher Steuart IT Forensics, Inc.

Re: moving an hour away

If the custodial parent relocates the child without providing notice, you could bring a contempt action under the parenting plan (read the provisions on relocation in your parenting plan) and for more detail

RCW 26.09.440 & 460. There are some exceptions to how much notice is required or that allow notice to be given after moving, but you have not described any circumstances that would justify an exception.

Read more
Answered on 6/13/08, 1:46 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Washington