Legal Question in Family Law in Washington

Relocation of child in WA state

The custodial parent stated her lawyer filled out a relocation form (she said she knew about the form) and will be sending it to us. The non custodial parent hasn't received it yet and we found out from the child, that they have already moved (this past weekend). The move is to a different school district, 10-12 miles further than the custodial parent's old address. Should we talk to her lawyer or notify the court? If her lawyer already filed the form with the court, but we haven't received it, can we do anything? We just want more visitation with the child because the move will interfere with visitation time since the non custodial must do 100% transportation.

Asked on 7/21/08, 1:16 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Christopher Steuart IT Forensics, Inc.

Re: Relocation of child in WA state

The general rule is that the residential parent has to provide 60 days notice of relocation. There canbe exceptions written into the parenting plan and there are exceptions for domestic violence issues in the RCW. Following the general rule, if no notice is filed and served on you, then that is contempt. How you want to proceed is a subjective matter, that you have to sort out, but at top end of intensity is a motion to show cause for contempt.

Read more
Answered on 7/21/08, 9:25 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Washington